One word we are starting to hear used frequently, and I am sure will become even more common as the 2020 election heats up, is Socialism.
The “S” word has been flying around the airwaves and across the Internet.
Depending on which channels you watch, websites you visit, or social media bubble you live in, the word “Socialism” may be used as a pejorative or be described as a synonym for panacea.
I know that I am pretty ignorant about Socialism and what it really means. I have read various definitions, none of which have been very helpful. I am still confused.
I would love to hear from people I know and trust personally, yes, You.
What first hand knowledge do you have about Socialism?
Since this is my blog I do have a few “rules” I ask that you follow should you decide to enter into this conversation:
- Be civil, better yet, be nice. Please refrain from any personal attacks towards other respondents. I only send notifications and invitations on this blog to people who I know personally. All of them are either friends or relatives of mine.
- Listen first. My main goal with this blog is to find “middle ground.” We can only do this if we consider ideas which at first blush seem foreign, misplaced, or outright “wrong” to us personally. None of us is too old to learn, at least not yet.
- Share what you have experienced personally. There are plenty of sources of information about Socialism but please don’t just cut and paste someone else’s thoughts. I want to hear what you personally think and have seen first hand.
- Challenge and question opinions you see as wrong, incomplete, or questionable while keeping Rule # 1 in mind.
- Stick to the issue of socialism. I’m pretty sure there are among those reading this some really strong feelings about individual politicians past and present. I’m hoping that this post is not about them (they come and go) but rather the concept of Socialism and how much it does, or does not, have relevance to those of us who live in democratic countries.
I hope your responses to this post lead me to a better understanding of the word Socialism.
Here are some thought starters based on questions I have about your experiences:
What do you think Socialism means?
Have you ever lived in a so-called socialist country? Visited one?
Do you know anyone personally who has received any government benefits directly (e.g. social security, medicare, medicaid, food stamps, student loans or grants, mortgage guarantees (VA or FHA), unemployment insurance, workers compensation, government backed disaster insurance/relief, or tax incentives, exemptions or credits)?
Have you ever worked for a government entity (local, state, or federal) providing services to other citizens?
Have you ever worked in the private sector or owned a business? Did your company have any government contracts? What services or products did your company provide to the government? What regulations most impacted your company? Did your customers receive government supported loans or incentives to buy your products? Did you ever participate in small business administration programs or receive government subsidies/business loans?
Is Socialism absolute or can it be incremental?
Are Socialism and Capitalism compatible?
Can you have Socialism without Democracy?
Do you even give Socialism any thought or think it is relevant?
Please click on “Comments/Leave a Reply” link below to submit your thoughts to this blog, which I look forward to reading.